Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Vegan Pumpkin Latte Guide

Every java joint in town is serving up that seasonal favorite, the Pumpkin Spice latte, but beware: ordering your Autumn joe with dairy-free milk doesn't necessarily make it vegan. Here's what we have been able to gather via trusted blogs and phone calls to corporate. If you have conflicting information or would like to contribute to the list, please comment below. Hope you find this helpful.

Starbucks Pumpkin Soy Latte = NOT VEGAN. This info comes from the great investigative work of our friends over at NashVeggie, as well as directly from the competition at Peet's Coffee.

The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Pumpkin Soy Latte = VEGAN IF YOU ASK THEM TO OMIT THE VANILLA MIX. I inquired about this at the Coffee Bean in the Vegas airport and the staff was extremely knowledgeable. The barista confirmed with certainty that it is vegan if you leave out the vanilla powder.

Seattle's Best Pumpkin Soy Latte = NOT VEGAN. I called corporate headquarters and the person I spoke with explained the pumpkin latte contains a chocolate mix that he believes contains powdered milk.

Panera Bread Pumpkin Soy Latte = VEGAN. Again, the diligent work of NashVeggie confirmed this drink is cruelty-free, unless you find $4 for coffee cruel.

Ugly Mugs (East Nashville) Soy/Almond Pumpkin Latte = VEGAN. They offer soy and almond milk alternatives.

Peet's Coffee & Tea Soy Pumpkin Latte = VEGAN. Corporate was very helpful and confirmed the pumpkin, gingerbread and hazel syrups are all vegan. The woman I spoke with was quick to point out that while their syrups are vegan, their sauces are NOT - which I'm finding to be true at most java joints, so always ask if your favorite coffee shop uses sauce or syrup in their specialty drinks.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, very very helpful :) I love Peet's Pumpkin Spice Chai and it would have killed me to learn that it wasn't vegan! Thank you very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this post! I was devastated when I found out the Starbucks PSL was not vegan and thought I had to drink only homemade for the rest of my life.
    I'm finding Peet's Coffee might be my new place to buy coffee.

    ReplyDelete