Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Home cookin' time.

I'm going on nine months now without a full time job and this unintended vacation has definitely lost its charm. I'm freaking out and utterly baffled that my decent/borderline impressive resume has yet to yield me a gig. I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and doggone it, people like me! Anyway, one good thing to come out of this ample free time is I've gotten to finally whip up some of the recipes I've been dog-earing. 

I'm a big fan of Colleen Patrick-Goudreua's The Vegan Table. So far everything I've made from it has been delicious. She breaks down her recipes by season and offers insightful cooking tips on every page. Today I tried two dishes: Split Pea Soup and French Onion Pie. 

The Split Pea Soup is a walk-off grand slam. It's the first meal I've ever made that I was actually proud of. Seems simple enough; split peas, potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, spices, liquid smoke, but when you throw them all together in a simmering pot, something transcendent occurs - seriously the best bowl of soup I've had in a long while. Colleen suggests trying this soup in a slow cooker, but I wouldn't recommend. I tried it and it was nowhere close to done after 6 hours. Just use a pot and cook it on the stovetop. It only takes an hour that way.

Still high from my split pea success, I tried the French Onion Pie. The recipe is for two pies, but since I only had one pie shell, I cut everything in half. Prep time is about 35 minutes and it takes 45 minutes to bake. Unfortunately though the French Onion pie is nowhere near as good as the Split Pea soup. My pie turned out rather bland despite the giddy aroma of the sauteed onions and garlic inside. It just doesn't taste like French Onion soup like I was hoping. I think I'll try making it again another time, but adding vegan beef broth or maybe vegan worcestershire sauce. 

Learning all these new recipes has been fun; a nice distraction from my dismal employment situation. I'm looking forward to my next cookbook recipe, sort of - I mean, if anyone can help a talented brother out with a job in marketing and/or tv production in LA, I'd be more than fine with placing these cookbooks back on the shelf for a while. 

C-Ya! 

4 comments:

  1. Not sure if this helps- but you can ask Native Foods (the vegan place) if they need a social media person... they lack a lot of communication and their newsletters could use a big of blogger! good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this post makes me want to link to this very important song:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LILA9bnx_EQ

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is snowing outside and I think I just found the perfect dish to make. Pulling her cookbook of the shelf right now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete